Sunday, December 9, 2012

My #1 Edublogs Award Choice - Student Voice


Editor’s Note: My favorite new blog was nominated for an Edublog Award.  I voted for it and am sharing the guest post below with my readers not only for your consideration but also because I think it is a blog to which you and your students might consider subscribing and contributing.

Guest post by Zak Malamed, Founder & Student Organizer of Student Voice


Educators have transformed my life. Mr. Bua provided me with the support and opportunity to find my voice and the educators that I have since met on Twitter have only furthered my belief that not only is the student voice necessary, it is also inspirational. Operating off of this belief and the encouragement of some outstanding educators, Student Voice was born.

Soon after our launch, a student who choose the uncommon route of taking a job over going to college said to me, "My father was never as proud of me as he was when he read my post on your website." And that is why I keep going. That is why my fellow students keep going, and that is why Student Voice has now become more than a website - it is a movement.

Recently, we were nominated for an EduBlog Award under the category of "Best New Blog." We want your support not only so that we can win, but also because we want to make a statement that the student voice is a respected and valued entity in the education community. We aim not to change a culture that ignores student voice, but rather create a culture that embraces it. Student Voice is looking for your vote and we hope you’ll support us by selecting “Best New Blog” here.

"Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation." -John F. Kennedy

And with that, let us think of the student voice as the means by which we can ensure that education may fulfill its purpose.



Keep the conversation going. Use the #StuVoice hashtag and join the #StuVoice weekly conversations on Monday nights at 8:30 p.m. EST. You can follow Zak Malamed on Twitter at https://twitter.com/zakmal and if you're interested in keeping up with the voices of more students, visit this link for suggestions.   

No comments:

Post a Comment